The Internet of Things is the group of inter-networking of electronic, non- electronics devices, and object that are embedded with software, actuators, networks and sensors.
Internet of Things allows people and enables things in the different way of creating communication between devices to be connected anytime, anywhere with anything and anyone, using different network and different service. In IoT enabled systems data from all connected devices can be generated rapidly and the volume may be huge & types of data can be different through Processing & Analysis devices for the proper management of data.
“Internet of Things enables data collection of different types from the different data objects around us and connects them together in a way we cannot.”
Internet of Things is driven by a combination of pervasive computing, including the smart devices/objects, a confluence of lower-cost methods (sensors, wireless networks, big data & computing power), pervasive connectivity and massive volumes of information. The large-scale implementation of IoT promises transformation of various aspects in the way we think and we live.For instance, new IoT products such as Internet-enabled appliances, home automation & energy management objects/devices are moving towards a vision of the “Dream House’’, and offering more safety & security at low energy consumption.
Benefits of IOT in Software Development:
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a fastest -emerging ecosystem of connected devices within the potential deliver significant and in the result benefits valued at trillions of dollars in the coming days. Organizations can use IoT for considerable cost savings by enhancing asset utilization, process efficiency, and unique productivity.
IoT offers business benefits and value that we can’t afford to ignore. For example, they could more easily locate assets, and run preventive maintenance on critical sections of infrastructure & machinery to increase throughout and utilization. Most benefits of IoT in development are given below:
· Improved/Efficient Processes
· Better Asset Utilization
· Increase Safety & Security
· Cost Saving
· Increased flexibility
· Improved Productivity
1. Improved/Efficient Processes: IoT uses real-time data from different sensors to monitor and to enhance process efficiency as well as reduce human intervention. IoT improves tracking of assets through sensors and connectivity which provides organizations benefits to various organization using Real-Time Insights.
2. Better Asset Utilization: IoT technology depends on Thing & Object Model so that we can utilize our asset in the better way. In IoT, the objects depend over each other and it also improves the utilization of our assets.
3. Increase Safety & Security: As everyone knows that Object base system always have better safety and security features, Object dependencies enhance security and make it better than non-object based system. Now imagine monotonous tasks being automated and done by machines. For example, smart assembly lines could report misconfigurations and warnings/errors in real time system, producing higher yields & reduced downtime.
4. Cost Saving: Organizations can use real-time operational insights to make smarter business decisions, and reduce costs (operating). They may utilize real-time objects and their data from sensors and actuators to monitor and improve process efficiency, reduce energy costs and minimize human intervention.
5. Increased flexibility: As your business grows, your potential customers usually demand for different changes and new feature in your products. To achieve this, you need to search for different products and become dependent on data/objects.Custom software solutions enable you to increased flexibility since the product is made as per client requirements and can be updated according to the business requirements.
6. Improved Productivity: Productivity is a critical parameter that reflect the profitability of software organizations. IoT increases organizational productivity by offering employees short training, reducing the mismatch of required vs. available skills, and improving work force efficiency.
IOT fields of interest are mentioned below, but are not limited to:
· Architecture: Object-centric, Data-centric , service-centric
· Platforms: CPS and SCADA platforms
· Wireless Technology: Radio frequency identification sensor networks
· Industrial Internet
· Ubiquitous Connectivity
· Widespread Adoption of IP-based Networking
· Fog Computing (between “Ground” and “Cloud”)
· Pervasive computing
· Computing Economics
· Digital health
· Resource-constrained networks
· Open service platform
· Security and privacy-preserving protocols
Conclusion: The IoT promises to support software firms and public/private authorities to meet their objectives in unique & innovative ways. The IoT is already empowering people to interact with new technology and improve their ideas.